Tuesday, January 7, 2014

College Football Season is Over

So the final game of the college football season was played last night and it didn't end the way I wanted it too. I know... everyone thinks that I am crazy to cheer on a SEC team.

But this Texas girl has learned to love her SEC teams, and let's face it... A lot of my preference has a lot to do with what I grew up watching and SEC ball was one of those things.

So this year there was a lot of controversy placed around FSU and their Heisman winning QB, Jameis Winston.

Early in the season it broke in the sports world that Winston was involved in a rape investigation. This wasn't like a recent investigation either. It was a case that had been open for investigation for a year. Okay that's not okay. While I know that there were no formal charges and there was no evidence backing the claim... and even I will admit that the leak had some odd timing this season, I will say that it made me stop and think about the type of people that are set up there as role models.

I mean this guy not only has a national title to his name, but he is a Heisman winner.

I do have to say this, Manziel might be taken as a d-bag for whatever reasons by people, but at least no one has accused the kid of rape.

In some cases I think that the accusation bothers me more than the actual confirmation of rape... Nix that. It all bothers me. But what really bothers me is that theses teams let these guys continue to play. If I was a team owner, ran a collegiate program, or anything in between. I would suspend the guys from play until the case closed. Period. If nothing else it might make them think about keeping it in their pants.

I digress and need to get off that soap box.

So Auburn showed up to play and leading up to the BCS last night everyone will admit that AU is a flukey team and they lucked into it this season. So I found some irony in the plays, and upsets that got pulled off by FSU. Auburn had done that several times this season. However, the overall game, was what the BCS is suppose to be, a close game that is anyone's game, up until the bitter end.

I will say that I have no ill feelings towards FSU for winning. They deserved that. They came up from a huge deficit and fought hard... AU just fought a little harder from the start... and for a large chunk of the game.

So I mention the irony to a colleague and he doesn't exactly get it... That's okay, he's a Yankee. So after I explain it he tosses out the worst thing I think I've ever heard, "Well, I guess now the SEC will have a new tri-fecta that they will look for in quarterbacks... Can they run, pass, and rape."...

Men that read this...

Please know that if you thought that was funny you need to check yourself. Its tasteless jokes like this that makes light of very serious situations, and make people think that its okay. Rape isn't funny. Period. Jokes about it are unwelcome. Not only that, it tells me a lot about you... You apparently don't respect women enough to not make the joke, because if you stopped and thought about that joke for one second and it being your wife, mother, daughter, sister, cousin, aunt or anything in between. I bet you wouldn't approach the topic with such levity.

That and I know my fair share of SEC fans that would like to opportunity to straighten you out on what you seem to think is deemed as "acceptable behavior" now in their conference.

They are the Southern conference I'm just saying....

More digression...

I will say this that if that was the finale of this season I can't wait to see what 2014 comes in with, with an actual playoff system and the possibility of the SEC being totally knocked out of the BCS opportunity.

Good thing I've got baseball to tide me over till the next 254 days pass till the start of next football season.

And that's all this junkie's opinion.    

No comments:

Post a Comment