Friday, May 9, 2014

The Draft... (And Why I Kinda Don't Care)

Draft day is officially upon us and Round 1 is finished out, and I kept updates on my phone telling me what was going on, but I had no real desire to actually watch the draft. I am only concerned with two players and that's impressive most years I flat out just don't care about the draft. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that I have no actual desire to waste my time with the super stellar likes of the NFL.

Let me put it to you like this, the last time I actually watched the draft was when Vince Young decided to go up and the time before that Kliff Kingsbury. That should give you an idea of how much I really don't care. Needless to say the draft affects a teams performance... kinda.

So the two players that I was waiting for updates on were Manziel and Jace Amaro. I think that any team would be lucky to have either one of these guys on the team, but the combination of the two together gives me goose bumps...

Now while I know that the actuality of that happening is slim to none, I still think its a great thought.

But as we all know Manziel got drafted to the Browns. I had decided that whoever drafted Manziel was going to gain a viewer... then he got drafted to the Browns. I refuse to watch, for the sheer reason of I don't want to watch him get beaten to death, nor do I want to sit and watch a team that you know will come out with a lack luster and... well... I'll just say it sad season.

This is how conversations around my house go, "If you have to sit down and rank all the NFL teams in the country you can always put the Browns at the bottom and  you at least know that you got that one right."...

Yes, this was an actual conversation that went on in my house last night.

I will admit that I knew that Manziel was going to end up on a lack luster team. I however was really hoping for the Texans. They at least have some hope. The Browns and their fans have it continually beaten out of them. This whole lack luster team thing for excellent athletes has one small problem. Your risk of getting hurt goes up significantly, this is worse for QB's mainly because a lot of times these lack luster teams have lack luster lines that can't hold it together long enough to protect you.

How do I think he will perform? I can't say. Every season is a new season. Just because something went well last year doesn't mean it will go well again.

This is what I can say. Here is what still floors me about The Cowboys not drafting Manziel when they had the chance, this kid is guaranteed bank. Think of him like the Howard Stern of football. People might have hated Stern, but they still listened to him, just to see if they could find something to hate him over. Its the same way with Manziel. Love or hate the kid your going to watch.

Don't lie about it either. You hate him, your gonna watch him, just to watch how miserably Mr. Heisman fails. You like him your going to watch to see how he grows and pray that he doesn't get hurt. But none the less your all going to be watching.

Which is why I'm so floored that Jones didn't jump on Manziel the second he got the chance. Its no secret that Jones doesn't mind a subpar team with what many would argue is the leagues crappiest QB sitting at the wheel. Why? Because the team still makes money. And Romo's inability to pull off wins and being a seeming jinx for the team is still making headlines. And I believe that saying is bad publicity is better than no publicity. Correct me if I'm worng... The fact still remains that The Dallas Cowboys are still the 2nd largest merchandised team in the world behind only Manchester United. Which means that this team is makes lots of money and so does its owner and its not winning... anything. Which should tell you that its about money and the capability to make it.

So, what I will be watching is the figures and the gains that the Browns will be having in every way because of Manziel. For no other reason than I can sit there and laugh that brilliant football man Jerri Jones missed out on guaranteed money.

And anyone that starts in with the character BS, please let me stop you. The NFL is home to some of the world's greatest thugs, abusers, and rapists... among other things... and as of recently they can add murder suspect to the list. I think Manziel ragging on the team/school he plays for is a little junior league in the NFL. He's gonna have to really step up his game... I'm just saying.

I however am not predicting Manziel's stay with the Browns to be long standing. So no worries, I don't have to watch the pro's just yet.

So needless to say I will just have to continue watching college football. Darn the luck.

But this is all this sports junkies opinion.  

No comments:

Post a Comment