Monday, August 5, 2013

That's What Friends Are For

So after a very long week and an even shorter weekend I spent a small chunk of my Sunday afternoon reading the latest headlines about Johnny Manziel.

Yes, I'm sure you all have heard that he is being investigated by the NCAA for profiteering. I have a few qualms with this.

So Manziel has done some stupid kid in college things. Let's face it, which one of us didn't when we were at that age in our life. That's the thing about young athlete's they are young. And I've heard it all from people before, "Well, I would think that he would be responsible enough to understand the responsibility he has..." blah, blah, blah. There is a point to all of it.

Think about it like this...

Look at your life. I will use mine as an example, because well its my blog. I spent the roughest 50+ hours dealing with total crap last week. Now I like to think that I handle myself on a great professional level, but there are times that I need to blow off some steam and unlike Manziel I didn't have someone taking time stamped photo's of the fact that I finished off a Texas tea in less than 5 minutes to post everywhere. So that the allegations that I'm a lush, or and alcoholic or anything in between could begin.

Now am I saying Manziel is a victim? No. Do I think his decisions are a little short sighted? Yes... But then again what man doesn't make super short sighted decisions (Sorry, female I had too, you know I did)?

Now the real problem I have with all of this is the fact that this is such a huge headline. Manziel isn't the first and he certainly won't be the last that the NCAA is going to get nailed for profiteering. However, I'm somewhat insulted by the fact that the NCAA looks into such matters so heavily and it is everywhere. I wonder if Manziel wasn't the first Freshman to win the Heisman, if that would make any difference. I think it would. So many people think that he didn't deserve it, but when it came down to it, the votes that mattered thought that he did. I do think that he is falling under extra careful watch, because of that, and I think that people are actually gunning for this kid to fail. Which says a lot about our society and how wrapped up we can get in a game.

And for the record I'm not pointing fingers, I'm just as guilty as everyone else. But I guess my dad did the right thing when he was introducing me to the world of sports. Don't hate someone else's accomplishment. If they are a rival. Learn from them, and strive to be better. If they are on your team, be proud and work to be on their level. If your just a spectator, celebrate then watch to see how far they are willing to take it, whether they are on your team or not.

Now I do know that Manziel is gonna have to be careful with his team bashing and such, when his team turns on him, he'll be done, and everyone knows it.

However, this is a mild digression.

I hate this thing with Manziel for the reason that its profiteering... I remember something about some football players of a certain team being accused of raping a girl before a bowl game... I could be mistaken however. Since there wasn't huge media hype about it, I'm assuming it didn't happen. That however, ticks this girl off on a whole different level, that I won't get into.

But keep this in mind, when you hear that the NCAA is investigating something, colleges hate the NCAA and they do everything to keep the NCAA out of their hair if the allegations are true, because a NCAA shut down of a program can kill it. We've seen it happen. I mean there was a reason that Mike Leech got unceremoniously dismissed from Texas Tech. Tech didn't want the NCAA sniffing around, and the only reason that they did that is the NCAA only looks into things when they think it is worth wasting their time on, for example some high and mighty former has been NFL'er turned sports broadcaster, makes a call. Do I think that there is the possibility that there is some vengeance going on? There is the possibility (*cough, cough* Nick Saban *cough, cough*)

Sorry... I had to take the dig for my uncle. He's still in denial about that loss.

Here's my thing. Instead of cheering for the kids to screw up at life, which at this point I get the distinct feeling that many of you are doing. Kick back, let them be kids. Let the powers that be do their job and then enjoy what happens on the Gridiron. Because let's face it, no matter what happens off the field, Manziel still is the youngest Heisman Trophy recipient ever and he has crazy mad skills on the field, and that will not be changed. Will his conduct off the field make him a player with staying power or a flash in the pan. In my opinion this kid is good enough I hope that a coach gets a hold of him and keeps him from being a flash in the pan.

But that's just this sports junkies opinion.    

No comments:

Post a Comment