Saturday, August 31, 2013

Tech V. SMU... Meh...

I know that college football officially started Thursday, but I decided to pass on those games for a good reason. And at certain points I was wishing I had passed on the Tech game last night.

I know that I have told people that first game off the bat is a bad way to judge a team, wait till you come up against some one that is a real contender and see what happens.

Am I glad Tech won? Sure. I hated that after a touchdown SMU started rolling over and dying. Both literally and figuratively. 

However...

With all that said, there were a few things that we learned about the Red Raiders and the Big 12 conference as a whole. Which is why I enjoy and really despise watching Big 12 football all at the same time. And just further proved that Johnny Manziel and A&M are the perfect love child of two very different, but when used properly, amazing forms of football that are unstoppable.

Let me start off by saying I know that a lot of eyes are on Kingsbury with Brewer being on the injured list and a true blue freshman walk on leading the Red Raiders in the charge. If you tell me that you aren't watching to see what Kliff does with this kid, to see if he has "the Heisman Touch", I will call you a liar to your face, cause lets face it, this is a familiar situation for Kliff... And if I'm correct the situation didn't turn out too badly.

Watching Mayfield was interesting last night. Initially I was very worried that this was a typical Big 12/ Texas Tech/ Pass Play Offense mistake that always gets made... No depth, none. It happens all the time. Let's hang our hat on this kid and pray to the great football gods above that he doesn't get hurt. 

Well, never mind then... The football gods have spoken. As soon as Brewer was injured in practice.

So Mayfield was initially lacking what many young QB's were lacking and SMU's Gilbert even had a hard time with this one. One thing that poses as a problem for QB's with no sight is the fact that they don't see the holes.

However, Gilbert got his field sight before Mayfield did and exposed a huge defensive weakness for Tech when he scored a touchdown right up the middle. Some adjustments are made, but this huge flaw is gonna kill Tech if we come up against any decently mobile QB, heck SMU scored a TD that they shouldn't have. I think Tech should seriously be considering something to defend against a ground game of sorts.

Now I will say on the plus side it was great to see Mayfield start connecting with receivers and starting to move the ball. Which makes me hopeful for a solid season coming from Mayfield. 

But based on last nights game there is nothing earth shattering about Tech this season. Its just good ole Tech at this point, but I will keep watching to see what happens.

And that is this sports junkie's opinion.    

No comments:

Post a Comment