Monday, September 9, 2013

Week 2 Recap

Like I said, no such thing as a bad game for a woman. Did anyone else noticed the looks of the Stephen F Austin QB? I'm telling ya... yummy. 

Okay now that I have that out of the way let's take a look back at the weekend. Nothing earth shattering happened, mainly because its week 2 and nearly every game was a non conference game, there weren't any super huge upsets.

On a side note congratulations to BYU on their win over Texas. Following the rabbit trail Texas its time to call time of death on Mack Brown's career he has served you long and well, but there needs to be some fresh blood in there and shake some things up... And I know that I will be hated for this statement, but I felt this way last year and that hasn't changed. Mack it was a good run, now its time to hang up you clipboard and retire.

So week 2 at Texas Tech wasn't a surprise to anyone. Tech stomped SFA. Now I will say this Tech looked solid and they looked tight.

Now with that said, don't get your hopes up Red Raiders. There were still some flaws that Tech should have taken the chance to work through, but didn't.

Welcome back Air Raid Offense, how I missed you so... Not. 

I will hand it to Mayfield kid has an arm and he's good, but here is my problem. Instead of letting the QB rest his arm some and run their ground game Tech thought it would be a good idea to push the QB, for a non conference game with over shot and under shot passes that I'm sure happened all because the kid was tired.

I had someone say you can't really test a ground game against a team like SFA. Here's my question, how could you take a perfectly good opportunity to not run the ground game? Seems like short sighted coaching. Instead of working out kinks in game situations, so that we know what needs to happen when we come up against I don't know OU... Let's instead run up the numbers and let everyone else know what I could tell other teams in the Big 12.

In case you aren't following, let me give you the key to crippling Tech's Offense... and it happens every time. OU is notorious for this... cover the passing routes.  

Which in all honesty I'm sure they missed knowing going in what they had to defend against. I'm just saying.

Now here are a couple of things that Tech is doing right. Diversifying receivers. Never going the same place twice. Brilliant! Why hadn't I... Oh wait, I've been saying that for as long as I can remember. 

The other thing that Tech did right was Jakeem Grant. You need to watch this kid. He's not big, but he is fast and hard to catch. I expect him to put up some great numbers this year, but more importantly I expect him to make some great plays.

On a random side note, Kliff get the plays out of the front of your pants. Its highly distracting. There are a reasons coaches invest in clipboards... I'm just saying.

Like I said nothing super earth shattering, but none the less its just this sports junkies opinion. 

Next weekend A&M takes on Alabama, and I can't wait!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment