Saturday, April 13, 2013

Friday Night Lights

"Gentlemen, the hopes and dreams of an entire town are riding on your shoulders. You may never matter again in your life as much as you do right now." -Friday Night Lights

The odd part about the quote above is it is actually a pretty true thought across the board for any "good" football town... well, in Texas anyway.

If there is one thing that is purely Texan it is our obsession with football. It is something that runs deep in this part of the country and I was reminded of it on the field last night.

Last night Texas Tech held an open practice for the public. Usually the only time fans get a peek at the Red Raiders and the possibilities that will be opened up to the Red Raider fans for the up coming season is in the form of the Red and Black game or the spring game as its better known in other parts of the country. I was elated to get to see this practice, just because it's easier to see how well we have the basics down.

Before I get into the technical and the things I'm looking forward to seeing on the field, let's discuss the off the field.

I have made no bones about the fact that I stood behind Tommy Tuberville while he was at Tech. I stood behind him, because I was behind the team as a whole, not just the coach. When he left that didn't change my feelings for the team. I was still a Red Raider and I was still going to support my team. That won't change.

Here's the way things are looking off the field for the Red Raiders. The fan base is united yet again. Fans are happy that one of their own has come home to roost. They even showed up with this amazing eagerness and energy that was in the air last night. The energy from 6,000 people was amazing. I can't wait to be photoging on the sidelines while its packed out this season.

The teams energy was great, everything last night was looking amazing. So there is an optimism there for a bright season for Tech.

Not only that Kingsbury's presence at Tech has brought a new light to the female interest in the sport.So much so that I wonder if the tortilla toss will be replaced with a panty pitch.

Let me just say ladies I get it. I have met the man, the myth, the legend, and I get it. I however, didn't feel this compulsive need to throw myself at the coach, I mean its pointless. He is a man just like everyone else and at the end of the day, he wants to be treated like he is a normal human being. All super studs prefer that. Besides that he is a man and they all fall into the same category when it is all said and done. So cool your jets.

That has been an interesting turn of events in the fan base to say the very least.

Now with that said...

Here is my real opinion.

Brewer looked good and the team looked good. The receivers were looking solid and things were clicking nicely. I however am approaching this season with cautious optimism for multiple reasons.

Let's start off with its one open practice, and any athlete knows that practice is nothing like playing a game. When you work with the same kids you learn how to read their weaknesses, for that interception. Plus practices are about running and working plays so well that they are second nature. This all kind of goes back to why I love sports, anything can happen that will change the entire course of a game, and there are just somethings that you can't prepare for. No matter how much you try.

I'll even go ahead and throw out that our team is small, but that isn't anything new. The Tech football program has always had a thing for small. I"m taller than wide receiver Jakeen Grant, I'm also heavier, but you give that kid some open space and he's gone.

Now despite what I saw last night at the practice under the Friday night lights last night I still remain cautiously optimistic, for two main reasons.

First, I don't care that Kingsbury played here before. I don't care that he "knows" the program, the fact of the matter is this- he is a new coach, at his first head coaching gig, there will always be a period of adjustment. There always is in the beginning. Kids have to get use to the coach and vice versa. The big question will be, will Raider Nation allow for the grace period, or turn on someone? Given the love that has been shown for Kingsbury from Raider Nation, I feel bad for Brewer, because now there will be a new level of added stress.

Random side note, one thing that I think I enjoyed about Tuberville being at Tech was this the fans laid off the kids and stood behind the kids. When the kids dropped passes, had bad throws and missed tackles it was all Tuberville's fault. Where as in the Leach era, Leach was never at fault and people were hateful to the players, especially the QB's. I was on campus during the Taylor Potts years and it was shameful the way the kid got treated by everyone after a loss.

Maybe I will live to see the day where Red Raider Nation says, "Hey we lost. We didn't play well, it happens and its okay. We will be back next week and we will win." Instead of fans trying to find somewhere to lay the blame. I'm expecting a cold day in hell before this actually happens.

My second reason for being cautiously optimistic is the fact that we are in the Big 12 and everyone is looking to prove something every year, and you can't tell me that the coach who coached the youngest Heisman trophy recipient in history doesn't have a target on his back. Every time we take the field against a conference team, they will have more to prove than usual...and given Tech's track record for being unable to stay healthy... I'm fully expecting to get beat up early and often.

But that is just this sports junkies opinion.


No comments:

Post a Comment