Friday, April 12, 2013

There Is a Thin Scarlet Line...


And you sir just crossed it.

I know that this blog originally started as a blog for writer’s inspiration and has kind of morphed into something that... well... I don't know what it is, but I know that when I run across things that I find interesting and compelled to write about I do.

Here recently my panties have been twisted...

Well, not really. I'm more up in arms about the fact that people feel the need to make everything so politically correct...

All over an interesting article that has been making the rounds of all my Texas Tech friends. Here is the link:


Take time and read the article. It’s short, sweet and to the point.

Okay now that you've done that, let me just start off with the generic sports mentality. Don't mess with my sports traditions! They are traditions for a reason.

Now I know that sports over the past two to three decades have come under some serious scrutiny for certain aspects of tradition. For example most recently in baseball I remember a time where there was a over exaggerated mascot that was brought under fire for the way that the Native American nation thought that he was portraying them to the rest of the country. It was highly offensive. I'm sure you all know that I'm talking about the Cleveland Indians mascot.

To that I say, really?!?

I think that for you to think that some guy who wears an obvious suit is portraying you in a bad light you have got to be aching for something to complain about.

The next thing that got scrutinized was the tomahawk chopping motion, okay seriously?...

When people start doing this I kind of want to say why stop there? I mean really?

So let's get this all politically corrected up.

Let's start with the obvious offensive things; first, no more gender differentiation. So if the Lady whatever's, or the whateverette's are playing and you don't keep up with the sports schedules, then you might be super surprised when you get to the game.

Next let's take care of PETA, so lions, tigers and bears bye bye.

Names that denote violence, you're out too. So all you raiders, cowboys, titans and vikings tough luck.

And the hand gestures those have got to go too. The bear claws, the hook 'ems, tomahawks and everything else. Bye bye.

So now that we have everything cleaned up I believe that the only teams in the country that can keep their names are the 49'ers and the Houston Astros.

I did have an argument about the Yankees. The term Yankee is a derogatory southern term used to describe some one from the north, I'm sure that there is some Northerner that would get there panties in a bunch over it. So it is considered offensive. That and Yankee is not a politically correct term. So that won't fly here.

I did just think of the Mets... Sorry guys briefly forgot about y'all.

This letter does make me laugh.

He talks about other Southern schools having to drop using the confederate flag at sporting events for obvious reasons... I would like you to reference the great state of Mississippi and some its high institutions of learning.

This letter might have been composed and published in Texas, but the author has yet to figure out in Texas we are kind of proud of our guns in all forms. I'm actually fairly certain this guys isn't even Texan. I would bet money he's an import from somewhere.

Tech could be petitioned for it and I don't think it will ever happen. One thing all Southerners are proud of is their traditions.

This does make me think back to a discussion that I was having with a fellow collegiate before a class while I was at Tech.

She was telling me how offensive she found, what I found to be a very witty and intriguing show, King of the Hill. She found it offensive because she felt that it was telling the rest of the country that Texas is filled with back water trailer trash.

I thought it was funny and very relevant, because it brought up things like, public education, politics, and economics among other things. At the same time it had some solid truths to it. Like everyone in Texas knows a Dale type character, and a Boomhauer, as well as a Bill. But there is one thing that rang truer than anything else for this viewer. At the end of the day this show boiled down to a man who did what he did, because he was a proud American and an even prouder Texan, and that was something that I didn't find offensive.

With that...

I am a proud Texas Tech Alum, and I hold my guns high at sporting events and every time our school song is played. That is one tradition that I will pass on, to my children and their children. Not the gun part per-say, but the pride in where you come from and the pride for who you support.

Now I will leave you with this thought. If we start PC'ing up sports where does it stop? Will it stop when they take all the violence out completely? So football is no longer tackle, but two below, and boxing turns into a glorified pillow fight?

It’s all food for thought.

And that is just this sports junkies opinion.




No comments:

Post a Comment