Monday, April 15, 2013

The Excitement in the Most Boring Sport

This was a weekend for the record books...

Okay that might be a stretch, but I was definitely on the edge of my seat most of the weekend.

The Red Sox's were staring down the barrel of a no-hitter, which didn't happen. The Rangers had a tie in their series (eesh), and the Masters was on everyone's lips.

Yes, I said the Master's.

The most boring sport to watch known to man (in my opinion at least), was the sport that everyone was talking about for more than one reason.

Tiger Woods decided to kick things off with an illegal drop. Now when I first heard about this I went, it happens. Then when I realized that the drop gone awry was 5 to 6 feet from the original spot the ball was at. I at first was shocked, I mean come on Tiger you're a professional. Then I stopped and thought, maybe this isn't such a big surprise. Let's really stop and think about this, Tiger in the last year or so has decided to revamp his image to be the bad boy of the PGA world. So much so that when there was all that media attention on what Tiger supposedly did, didn't do, etc... The Masters asked themselves if they want to be associated with such a person. Now, I'm sure they are wondering what they had done. I guess it's a slippery slope once you start beating your wife and acting like a crazy person.

So the Masters decided to give Tiger a 2 stroke penalty. Which lots of people thought that he should be tossed from the tournament.

Let me insert here that I play golf and I played tournaments in high school. I was pretty good. One thing that I know about a 2 stroke penalty is this it can be the hardest thing to come back from. a 2 shot penalty is the difference between a birdie and a bogie.

Now at the amazing level that the athletes on the PGA circuit compete at a 2 stroke penalty can take you from the leader board to 10th in the blink of an eye. With that said, Tiger finished 4 strokes over and the leaders that had to play a sudden death match finished at 8 under. Which Tiger was a total of 10 strokes away from the lead. There was no way that he could catch up.

Now after that big to do, the two leaders that finished with the same 8 under went into a sudden death match. Now if you have seen the movie The Legend of Bagger Vance you know that this could turn into a very interesting death match and could go on for awhile. It was two holes in total I believe, but at the end of it all, the guy that they thought was going to win didn't. It was someone that they were keeping tabs on, but didn't expect to win.

The part I liked the best was the sudden death, it is absolutely on the edge of your seat excitement. Golf is a tough sport, then add in the pressure of every swing you make will either push you one step closer to the win or end everything right there.

This all goes to show that anything can happen in the world of sports and I don't want to miss a second of it!

See ya somewhere in the great big wide world of sports!

No comments:

Post a Comment