Friday, April 12, 2013

Why I Love College Football and Hate T-Shirt Fans


Now that college football season is about to be catapulted into bowl season I think that this will be a fairly relevant post. And guys who read this and think OMG a woman writing about sports... well... I'm just as capable of doing it as any of you are. That and it won't be that bad. Girl Scouts honor!

So this season I did what I have done for the last three seasons and cheered on my Alma mater, Texas Tech. I stated long ago, back when former coach Mike Leach was hired, that I would start watching Tech football again when he was gone. It actually got to the point where I thought I would be old and grey before this alumni member was going to be able to cheer on her team. I grew up in the area and watched Red Raider football, with the likes of Spike Dykes. But from the second that Leech was hired one I knew one thing. The Red Raiders lost a fan. I haven't been able to put my finger on why exactly, until now.

With Leach's sudden a glorious departure from Tech and his ability like all cockroaches to resurface in college football, this girl has enjoyed hearing what the PAC-12 sports heads are saying about him... It's that he's crazy! Citing conferences after losses that he didn't take any blame for the loss, but instead blamed the kids (who were following orders) and even lined up his defensive line men and offensive linemen and ushered them into a press conference to apologize for the loss. He has even suggested that he is only saying the things that he knows the press wants to hear... Ha!!! When did that stop him before? Oh yeah I forgot it didn't.

I digress, all this has proven to me one thing and one thing alone. The former "Mad Scientist" that use to coach at Texas Tech is one thing... Mad. Get this man a straight jacket, I think he's done.

After the time period of mad scientists and pirates at Texas Tech there is a new wave that is going to be ushered in . That is the time of a heritage team. People that don't pay attention think that this is something that happens over night, not exactly. Given the fact that Tech's most recent QB Seth Doege was a Leach recruit I do have to say that I was impressed with what Tubberville has been able to do with the kid. But this kid had the same problem every other Leach QB has had... The inability to perform in the clutch when it counts. Now I know that Doege did great things this year, I also know that Tech dealt with a lot of injuries this season, but when Doege's line fell apart so did he. Granted you have to give a QB time to throw, and you have to have the options and blah, blah, blah... We can talk all that we want, but a QB that likes to sit in the pocket way to long isn't the type of QB that Tubberville really needs... Just go back in the history books folks. Two words Cam Netwon, enough said. And don't get me started on Tech's iffy defense, we had a solid looking team early in the season.

Now let's move onto the coaching ills that seems to plague Texas Tech. I won't start with the wildcat... I think that the masses have had enough of that. Let's start with the trick plays that are meant to be played when you have no other options. Are they fun? Sure. Are they a crowd pleaser? I'll go for yes on this one too... However, why run them when you don't really need to? Seriously. I still have yet to find a logical reason for this one.

I get that the kids that you coach need to have some fun, and as a former athlete, I know that it makes things a lot easier as long as you do have fun. When it stops being fun that's when the game looses its passion and feeling.

Now with all of Tech's ills this season there were some great things that happened that haven't happened at Tech in a long time. We knocked out a Heisman trophy nominee early in the season, Geno Smith from West Virginia. Tech had a solid road record until we came up against K State. And Doege stats wise had it in spades over Klein in every way possible, but rushing. Something that well rounded QB's have to be able to do these days, the game is evolving and either you evolve with it or you get lost in the shuffle which happens to Tech more times than you think.Also this season, Doege was leading the nation in TD passes...Yes that's right nation. And Tech entered a game ranked and left it the same way... We were even highly ranked and got bumped up. We are once again bowl eligible and I'm waiting to hear about the bids that will be coming in. And more importantly and re-read this if you must... We finished with a better season than we did last season. Improvement, it takes a season at a time, and that is what we are doing.

Now to the last part of this title... the dreaded t-shirt fans.Another thing that Tech has in spades. I mean every team has them, but at least most of UT's t-shirt fans know all the proper words to the fight song.

One thing that I have found so disgusting this season, is that these are the fans that are making the noise and keep screaming for Tubberville's job. Leave the man alone already. There are things that he has done and I'm sure upset the people that joined the band wagon with the pirate/ mad scientist Mike Leach. Like exposing Leach's inability to recruit, his inability to produce a defense that could defend against more than a paper bag, let alone his lack of being able to produce any type of ground game. Things like SaDale Fosters 70+ yard run for a TD straight up the middle isn't born out of a passing game.

Tech has a great future ahead of it, as long as its fans don't get in the way.

And that's just this girls opinion.


No comments:

Post a Comment